Thursday, 5 July 2012

Simplicity 2614

Simplicity 2614 
Laura Ashley Floral Lawn Blouse

Next up, a pretty, pretty summer blouse. I'm not really a "pretty, pretty" sort of a person. Much more likely to be seen in trousers and T shirts than floral blouses but I quite like this one. 

My stash now stands at 159.84 metres. And that's just what's been catalogued! There's probably another 50 metres or so in crates and bags around the house. Most of the preshrunk, measured, described and catalogued stuff (did I tell you I used to work as an archivist in a museum?) is in a trunk in the living room. Some of it doesn't fit in there and is now in the sewing room, theoretically waiting to be made into planned garments. And then more stuff arrives. Obviously it does this of its own volition. It flirts with me, coaxes me, beguiles me in weak moments on the internet or in its dens of iniquity (fabric stores). I'm powerless to resist. I go out for a zip and come back with cotton lawn. I need interfacing, I get ponte. What's a girl to do? 

Don't know what that crease across my bum is about- it's not there usually!

In the interests of reducing my stash, I have been delving into the distant past for fabric that deserves a better life than to be squashed into a trunk. I bought this cotton lawn in Laura Ashley in Southport in 1985 or 6 probably, when they used to sell dress fabrics and they had sales where you could actually afford to buy things (not like now!). It's very fine and soft, takes creases beautifully when you want it to and feels lovely to wear. 

The pattern is Simplicity 2614 which is one of those that has different pattern pieces for different bust sizes. Always an advantage. I would have liked to have made a different sleeve as this style draws attention to my upper arms where I don't need the attention, but I didn't have enough fabric. After reading many reviews on Sewing Pattern Review, in addition to cutting the D cup, I did a bit of extra fudging to add a bit more bust room and I'm very happy with the fit. I just cut an inch lower on the upper front pieces and gathered along that edge to attach to the lower front. 

There was a lot of cutting out of pieces on the bias, which is a bit more of a faff than cutting pieces on folds but it was simple enough and quick to do. I didn't bother understitching the facing (I hate it and usually end up messing up the whole neck when I do it). I just pressed the facing to the inside and then edge stitched all the way round. It sits beautifully. 

I'm very happy with it and can see myself going out for afternoon tea in it. I don't go out for afternoon tea very often but maybe I should, just so I can wear the blouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment